Thursday, October 13, 2011

Healthy-ish

Here are some facts:

Small towns = a lot of fast food restaurants. VERY few restaurants offer any sort of health food value.  I flip out when I see a vegetarian or gluten free option. It just rarely ever happens.

Small town = most people live in a bubble of sorts and are not concerned whatsoever with what goes into their body. (not dogging small towns, I'm actually working on a 50 reasons why you should live in a small town... I might even make it specific to Centralia.. Stay tuned for that one) Because of the lack of interest in individuals, health food is not in high demand and as a result the selection at any of the local grocery stores is quite sad. 

Aldi is owned by the same company that Trader Joes is. 

There is an Aldi right here in little ol' Centralia. (hear the angels singing?!)

Hands down there isn't a grocery store within driving distance that can beat their prices.

They have a great selection of organic, healthy and gourmet foods.

Living a healthy lifestyle in a small town is a bit more challenging, but worth the pay off.

If you love to cook and explore new recipes then eating healthy instantly gets much easier.

Disclaimer: When I say healthy, I mean healthy-ish. In our family, we are by no means a strict diet type of family, but we always try to make good choices, and are always open to new strategies to help us maintain a healthy lifestyle. We snack smart, cook light, and usually have one meal a week where we are allowed to "splurge" and just satisfy a craving. Then there is my method of totally limiting my caloric intake during the fall season, so I can partake of as many pumpkin desserts as I want and still maintain my weight.

Here's what was for lunch today. All courtesy of Aldi. I was excited to see that they carry Greek Yogurt. I was pleased with the taste. The texture was a little bit more thin than typical Greek Yogurt, but it was still great. Added some granola cereal to it and drizzled some honey on top. It was perfect!


P.S. My pumpkin dessert of choice this week is the pumpkin pie mini blizzard from DQ. 

Oh.my.heck. 
It.is.so.so.so.good.

 ...it's a small town so OF COURSE we have a DQ. To balance out how many calories are in this closing statement, I will also add that the Centralia DQ also now has an Orange Julius attached to it, and who doesn't love a nice, refreshing and possibly healthy smoothie? (of course I am saying this BEFORE researching the health benefits... if there are any.)

Tomorrow is Friday my loves! 

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment